Friday, August 9, 2013

3rd World Kids: fact and fiction


I don't know how it happened.  I know we meant well... But how did Americans develop such a wrong idea about 3rd world kids??  Maybe it was all the programs we saw on t.v.? Starving children sitting in the dirt, stomachs painfully protruding, flies crawling around their eyes and mouths.  We were offered a way to save them.  With just a few cents we could feed them, clothe them and send them to school.  All their problems solved.

Is this how it happened?  I ask the question only because I was one of these Americans.  I moved to Honduras believing that as long as the kids were given food, clothes and an education they were better off than they were.

"They are better off than they were."  This is a phrase that now makes me cringe.

Think about a child in your life.  Maybe a niece, nephew, son or daughter?  Now think about only offering them 3 meals a day, clothes, school and nothing else.  No love, no attention, no supervision or discipline or support or encouragement or praise.  Would you ever allow your child to grow up like this?  No of course not!  But this is what many consider acceptable for 3rd world children.  Because "they are better off than they were."

During my time here in Honduras I've worked with over 130 "3rd World Kids."  They are complex, curious children, hungry for love and attention.  They need direction and support.  They can make you laugh and they can make you cry.  These children will look out for you first and themselves second.  If all they have is 1 tortilla they will offer you half.  Some are very rough around the edges but on the inside all they want is love and attention.

I've seen things done the right way and I've seen things done the wrong way here.  And let me tell you the difference is shocking.

I can't help but get angry when I think about all these "rescued" 3rd world kids raising themselves.  But I've learned a lot from the people who are doing it right.  And it's becoming very clear that this is what I'm being called to do.  I'm being called to do it right.

Please pray for the amazing children of Honduras.  They are waiting for their chance to shine.

"Every child you encounter is a divine appointment."  - Wess Stafford


















No comments:

Post a Comment